Project Linus – When you think of a blanket, you might think of Linus from the Peanuts Snoopy cartoon. He always is seen with his security blanket. This is where you can help give children in hospitals have a security blanket. #ProjectLinus #Linus
I kept seeing things about this blanket project at JoAnn’s Fabrics and finally got to looking into it and to share with you all about it. This is where Project Linus help to provide love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new handmade blankets and afghans, lovingly created by volunteer “blanketeers.”
You can help by donating blankets, your time, and/or other needed materials. Be sure to find your local chapter for more details on how you can help. In some cases, some chapters will take fabric and other blanket, quilt making materials so ones can be made for deserving children.
The blankets are from smoke-free makers and also stored in a smoke-free facility too. They are never given to adults, only children! The blankets must be NEW and washable. They must also be free of contaminants! Not to mention, these must be “handmade.” When they say handmade, they mean something that is not commercially manufactured or purchased.
My closest chapter is the Project Linus of East Tennessee. It seems they are celebrating their 18th year on my daughters birthday.
There are other requirements to look into if you make blankets, quilts, etc. Be sure to check out their website for those requirements.
How did Project Linus get started …
On Christmas Eve, 1995, an article titled “Joy to the World” appeared in Parade Magazine. It was written by Pulitzer Prize winning photo-journalist, Eddie Adams. Part of the article featured a petite, downy haired child. She had been going through intensive chemotherapy and stated that her security blanket helped her get through the treatments.
After reading the article, Karen Loucks decided to provide homemade security blankets to Denver’s Rocky Mountain Children’s Cancer Center, and Project Linus was born. Project Linus was named after the adorable security blanket toting character from the Peanuts comic strip. Creator Charles Schultz was aware of our efforts and delighted to have Linus inspire blanket makers to help comfort children in need.
With over 350 chapters in the United States, our organization continues to supply blankets to children in need. Although Project Linus originally donated blankets to pediatric cancer patients, recipients now include any child who is seriously ill or traumatized in some way — in other words “children in need of a big hug.”
Speaking of Linus! Did you know he actually dropped his security blanket one time and was without it for awhile! Learn about that!
Subscribe to SteveZ MaskZ Blog Posts:
Don’t Miss Another How-to Video, Podcast or any other blog posts from SteveZ MaskZ. Subscribe today! Just enter your email address below to subscribe!
Follow SteveZ MaskZ on Social Media:
You can also choose to follow SteveZ MaskZ on social media as well.
Recent Feed of All Blogs
- May is Mental Health Awareness Month – You Can Have a #RealConvo with MeMay is Mental Health Awareness Month.You Can Have a #RealConvo with Me. The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is focusing their attention on having a #RealConvo about mental health. They learned through a recent Harris Poll that 89 percent. May is Mental Health Awareness Month – You Can Have a… Read more »
- Can I travel after getting the COVID-19 vaccine?SteveZ MaskZ Can I travel after getting the COVID-19 vaccine? Experts say that those who have been fully vaccinated (receiving both shots for the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines or one for the Johnson & Johnson/Janssen vaccine) it is likely safe to travel again. #FullyVaccinated #COVID19Vaccine #Travel Can I travel after… Read more »
- Cinco de MayoCinco de Mayo - literally translate as 5th of May. This is a holiday mostly celebrated in Mexico to commemorate the Mexican Army's difficult victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla, on May 5, 1862. #CincodeMayo Cinco de Mayo appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the… Read more »
- The Benefits of HobbiesSteveZ MaskZ The Benefits of Hobbies - Hobbies can benefit people in some interesting ways. Understanding those hidden benefits may compel some people to make more time for their favorite downtime activities. #Hobbies The Benefits of Hobbies appeared first on SteveZ MaskZ. Read more »
- Way-FM’s CJ is now Chris on Air1Way-FM's CJ is now Chris on Air1 - Way-FM"s DJ known as CJ has left their radio station and now a part of Air1 as Chris. #WayFM #Air1 #ChrisLusk #CJLusk Way-FM’s CJ is now Chris on Air1 appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Way-FM’s CJ… Read more »
- How to prepare for telehealth appointmentsSteveZ MaskZ How to prepare for telehealth appointments - Patients can take steps to ensure their telemedicine sessions with their physicians are as productive as possible. #telehealth #COVID19 How to prepare for telehealth appointments appeared first on SteveZ MaskZ. Read more »
- May the LORD be with youMay the LORD be with you! The 4th of May is usually known as Star Wars Day. You'll hear May the Fourth Be with you taking off from the movie May the Force be with you. #maythe4thbewithyou #maythefourth #starwarsday #maytheLordbewithyout #maytheLord May the LORD be with you appeared first on… Read more »
- Star Wars DayStar Wars Day - in a galaxy far far away there came a space-themed holiday based on the movie series Star Wars. #StarWars #StarWarsDay MaytheFourth #Maythe4thBeWIthYou Star Wars Day appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Star Wars Day ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of… Read more »
- National Two Different Colored Shoes DayNational Two Different Colored Shoes Day - Be different! Show that you are different! Raise awareness of human diversity by wearing two different colored shoes on this day. #TwoDifferentColoredShoesDay National Two Different Colored Shoes Day appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at National Two Different Colored… Read more »
- World NF Awareness Day & MonthWorld NF Awareness Day & Month - This is an awareness day that hits very close to home as I have Neurofibromatosis (NF). My mother, uncle, and cousins have NF. Some cities are gonna Shine A Light on NF on this day. #EndNF #WorldNFDay #Neurofibromatosis World NF Awareness Day &… Read more »
- Mother’s Day Finger Puzzle PrintableMother's Day Finger Puzzle Printable - Here is a free finger puzzle printable just for Mother's Day! #MothersDay Mother’s Day Finger Puzzle Printable appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Mother’s Day Finger Puzzle Printable ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian… Read more »